- The best choice if you want the most economical lenses possible.
- Excellent optical clarity (comparable to glass lenses).
- Due to thickness, not recommended for higher prescription powers.
- Can be easily tinted to dark sunglass shades.
- The most popular lens material in the United States, accounting for over 50 percent of all eyeglass lenses sold.
Ultraviolet treatment is applied to lenses to protect against harmful UV sunrays that can accelerate the development of cataracts and macular degeneration. It is extremely important to protect eyes from the damaging effects of the sun. UV treatment is easy to apply to lenses and is often included with the purchase of eyeglasses.